A client had an issue with their HP server last week. They called HP Support hoping for some major hardware exchanges but first were told (paraphrased), “You are way behind on firmware updates – until you update firmware for System BIOS, RAID adapter and hard drives you get no support from us!”
(We’d never even contemplated the need for hard drive firmware upgrades before…)
The HP support guy emailed some links to the needed updates but they were all Windows-based installers. Since the server wouldn’t even boot the OS those links weren’t very helpful.
After getting a bit overwhelmed by the drivers/firmware download page(s) I called back my friends at HP support looking for guidance. It was then that I directed to the holy grail:
Did you know you can download one bootable CD with all the current firmware updates on it? How cool is that – and why have I never stumbled over this before?!?
It isn’t even hidden. I’m embarrassed for not having found this before and elated for how easy this will make routine updates in the future.
Here’s how to get your own:
- Browse to hp.com and click on Support.
- Under Step 1 select “Download drivers and software (and firmware)”
- Under Step 2 enter your server’s product name (for instance, I entered “DL360 G5”) and then click “Go”
- On the Download drivers and software page choose a language and OS (it doesn’t really matter what OS you choose… don’t obsess).
- Scroll down to the “Firmware – CD-ROM” option and download it.
- Once downloaded just unzip it and burn the ISO to a CD.
When you boot from the CD there’s an option to update firmware. A wizard checks out all your hardware and firmware versions and presents you with a list of what needs to be updated. Turn it loose and you’re done.
The one CD also appears to be for all the flavors of the ProLiant line.
The ProLiant Firmware Maintenance CD delivers a collection of firmware for your ProLiant servers and options. Update your ProLiant firmware using one of the following methods; HP Smart Update Manager, ROMPaq (iLO only), or Online ROM flash components. For support documentation, please click on the Installation Instructions Tab
Possibly Related posts: